Monday 25 May 2020

Prefab Sprout - Faron Young


During my quarantine, I have been avidly exploring the Sodajerker podcast archives, with over 150 insightful interviews with great songwriters. So far my favourite is their first interview with Paddy McAloon, the lead singer and songwriter of the Prefab Sprout, as he comes across as funny,  modest and grateful.


He recounts a great story about the genesis of his  "Faron Young" song. Challenged by the drummer to include "antique" in a lyric, he promptly responded with the incredible opening couplet  "Antiques ! Every other sentiments an antique / As obsolete as warships in the Baltic".

I think I was first attracted by their name - so strange and mysterious, and then their music didn't disappoint. I had missed their first album "Swoon", so "Steve McQueen" in 1985 was my first experience. As first song on the first side of the cassette, "Faron Young" instantly won me over - a well-crafted, upbeat and enigmatic treat.

It name-checked  the American country singer and his hit "4 am in the morning" (I confess I knew neither then). Even now, I am not really sure about its meaning, but it definitely involves American journey imagery with straight roads, all night radio station and bubblegum. It could be critical, but there is always love for Faron Young. I also admire the evocative "The sunset makes a fence out of the forest".

The music sounds slightly unusual, (produced by Thomas Dolby),  with a wonderful urgent guitar riff opening. McAloon's vocals are good, but always superior when backed by Wendy Smith.

Prefab Sprout released clever, sophisticated albums, and enjoyed brief pop stardom with "King of Rock 'n Roll".  However McAloon preferred his own route, with few tours (seeing him in Liverpool in 2000 was a delight and a relief) and often scrapping whole albums. He has also been blighted by serious health issues, so any new releases are gratefully received.  

A singular and original talent. We are lucky to have him.



Hear Next -  "Steve McQueen" remains my favourite, and all their albums are  excellent. First time listeners may prefer to delay "I trawl the meagahertz", as it is an interesting but unrepresentative outlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment