Wednesday 6 May 2020

Little Jackie - The World Should Revolve Around Me


Sometimes you can like a song, before you have even heard it. I remember reading a rave review of "The World Should Revolve Around Me" in the Word magazine, and loved the description and title. It didn't disappoint when I finally heard it.

The New York singer songwriter Imani Coppola had a minor hit in 1997, but had disappeared, before she formed the Little Jackie group in 2008 with Adam Pallin, a producer and multi- instrumentalist. Their debut album "The Stoop" was a great fusion of modern sounds and superb lyrics. TWSRAM ( I will use abbreviation onwards), the first single, was a bouncy and fun pop song. It seems a definite trend that much of my favourite work comes from artist's first releases.

After another break-up, Coppola is tired of relationships, and analyses her role in their failures ("I don't get involved because I'm not equipped").  She is too self-obsessed ("there's only one me in the galaxy / I am an endangered species"). Her lyrics are feisty and witty, even digressing trivial philosophical queries ("what came first / the chicken nugget or the Egg McMuffin?'"). In the end she realises she is the most important person in the world, so it should revolve around her !

Pallin's guitar and keyboards provide a compelling backing, with hints of soul from the brass samples. A Motown style for the 21st century. Coppola's vocals are pronounced and sassy.

I don't think the song is really that narcissistic, as it more tongue in cheek with elements of feel-good self empowerment and independence ("I don't need you around, I know I rock!"). There is similar humour and clever wordplay in much of her subsequent work.

TWSRAM was a hit single in the UK, but not in US -  a surprisingly common trend for several US artists. Two further albums appeared to critical acclaim, but low sales, and since 2014 Coppola has reverted to a solo artist. It is a shame as Little Jackie was a great vehicle for her wry lyrics and pop sensibility.



Hear Next -  "The Stoop" is a great album, but then I have enjoyed others too.