Tuesday 19 May 2020

Dengue Fever - Tiger Phone Card


This song recalls so many happy memories, as I often used it as a teaching aid in my English classes in Cambodia. I would give the students the lyrics with some gaps, and they would complete the missing words as they heard the song. Sounds quite easy, until I realised how many times I have misheard lyrics, even with my native tongue.

I chose songs by Adele, the Beatles and their beloved Taylor Swift, but I preferred Dengue Fever, as they had revived the 1960s Cambodia garage or surf rock sound. The California-based Holtzman brothers loved this music, so formed a group,and selected the Cambodian emigrant singer Chhom Nimol.  Their albums often revived old songs (from the greats such as Sinn Sisamouth and Ros Srey Sothea), or wrote new songs in the same style in Khmer or English.

"Tiger Phone Card" is written in English, and appears on their third album 2008's "Venus on Earth" . It details a long distance relationship ("You live in Phnom Penh / You live in New York City") and obviously the students enjoyed the reference to their home town.

A fraught existence, limited to E-mail or calling cards (no Skype or zoom then) and hamstrung by the time difference. The American man (Zac Holtzman) trades lines with the Chhom Nimol's pure but accented vocals, until their vocals merge in the envisioning of their meeting ("The first thing that I do / Is throw my arms around you"). A tale of longing and passion, even though she chides "You only call me when you're drunk".

The guitar backing embraced an infectious Khmer pop style, was even more impressive in concert. I recall the incongruous teaming of the diminutive Nimol, two very tall guitarists and a spirited saxophone player, but it worked perfectly. If you were not dancing by the end, then there was something wrong with you !

Dengue Fever never let me forget a wonderful place and people.



Hear Next -  I have enjoyed all the Dengue Fever albums, but would first recommend "Venus on Earth" or "Sleepwalking Through the Mekong" (which is a film too).

No comments:

Post a Comment