Saturday 30 May 2020

Kasey Chambers - The Captain


The "Sopranos" always had impeccable music taste (how could they not with Steven Van Zandt in the cast?).  I vividly remember an episode of the third season, relating to a character's desperate zeal for a captaincy, ending with an appropriate and literal musical choice.

I was hypnotised by the metronome beat of a guitar, and then the sad nasal whine, as the closing titles ran. Subsequently I tracked it down as  "The Captain", written and recorded by the Australian country singer Kasey Chambers (in truth I didn't know there was an Aussie country scene).

"The Captain" was the title track and highlight of her debut album. Chambers had nomadic background (literally - they hunted on the Nullarbor Plain), before her parents returned their love of American country music, forming the Dead Ringer Band. Kasey was also included, and provided backing vocals on father Bill's two solo albums. She went solo herself in 1998, but kept her love of country music.

"The Captain" can be easily misread as a pitiful female subservient to a superior male partner. She seems so vulnerable and self-pitying in the opening ("Well I don't have as many friends because / I'm not as pretty as I was") with no self worth ("I am no one"). Her voice is hesitant, childish, and even seems to be cracking in parts (listen to heart breaking "stand my ground").  She  only deserves  to be in this shadow - he will always be the boss.

But the second verse reveals the full story, as she is more confident and resilient ("So I slammed the doors they slammed at me"). She is not weak, but just happy to settle down after previous stresses -  a rare peace and calm ("I figured out my destiny at last"). Impressive and mature lyrics for a debut album.

The recording was a family affair, produced by her brother Nash, and accompanied by her father on guitar and the American singer Julie Miller on backing vocals  Perhaps Kasey's twangy voice may irritate some, but I love it, and it is perfect for this new country classic.

Chambers has proceeded with a lengthy and varied career of 12 albums, but "The Captain" remains her masterpiece, and the song she never tires of playing live.



Hear Next -  "The Captain" and "Barricades & Brickwalls" are my two favourite albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment