Sunday 5 April 2020

The Miracles - Tracks of My Tears


This 1965 song is pretty ubiquitous but I think I first heard it on a "Motown Heartbreakers" compilation cassette.  In fact, few people cover the whole range of emotions, better than Motown.

Being based in Detroit, Berry Gordy famously used Ford's assembly line concept to produce an incredible series of hit single for 1960s America. However you still need to find great performers  (like Marvin Gaye & Diana Ross) and  world class writers / arrangers (like Norman Whitfield and the famed Holland Dozier Holland).  Smokey Robinson falls into both categories.  Bob Dylan reputedly called him "America's greatest poet" (although you should never believe much of what he says).

This must one of the saddest songs ever, as Smokey Robinson testifies that his life is an sham and illusion since his partner broke up with him.  In under three minutes, we can feel his full pain and suffering. On the outside, he still seems the life of the party, making jokes, laughing, smiling. But it is an act and charade, because "deep inside I'm blue" and shattered.  The only way to tell is by detecting the remote marks on his face left by his tears. Even a new girlfriend cannot help him, there is just the plaintive "I need you! "

The melody was  initially written by the Miracle's guitarist Marv Tarplin (who gave himself the great opening chords), and then fleshed out  by bassist Pete Moore. It is a great sound, but the real highlight are Smokey Robinson's lyrics. Rhyming couplets are always difficult,  and can often appear clunky or contrived (Noel Gallagher), but Robinson is a master. I particularly like the  rhymes for cute & substitute  and masquerading & fading. There is also the  heart-breaking image of his smile being "my makeup since my breakup with you".

The song's style is more 1950s do-wop than soul or R'n'B, with Smokey's  sweet crooning ("I hear violins" - ABC), complemented by male chorus backing, especially on the call and response "I need you" - "need you"

It is such a great achievement  to produce such a heartfelt lament, and  even more impressive that he  matched it with "Tears of a Clown" five years later (other singles included "My girl is gone", "Broken-hearted", "What's so good about goodbye", "The love I saw in you was just a mirage" ).  I really hope Smokey didn't have that much misery in the 1960s!


Hear Next -  Motown's strength in the early years were singles, so logically compilation of Smokey Robinson  and the Miracles, or Motown in general are unbeatable, especially the 4 CD "Hitsville USA".