Monday 6 April 2020

Aldous Harding - The Barrel


After Smokey Robinson's 1965 classic, an artist and song from 2019 that you may not have heard before.

With so much new music easily available today, in these days of with Spotify,  YouTube and MySpace (OK, maybe not the last one), it is always difficult to find which new music is the best and most essential.  I always try to listen to the end of year compilation CD samplers from Uncut and Mojo  magazines (I am their perfect demographic). When I played them in December, this is the song that jumped out for me, and I was curious about Aldous Harding.

I assumed they were an alternative US group,  but it seems she  is a New Zealand singer / songwriter (now based in Cardiff).  "The Barrel" is a melodic, catchy, but also elaborate and mysterious.

There many things I love about this song - the strong female voice, the sparing backing vocals,  its folk pop style, and especially the prominent piano part.

The curiosity is its meaning.  Harding cautiously divulges little in interviews, allowing the listener to make their own  conclusions (many Bob Dylan songs share this trait). So these are my conjectures, for what they are worth.

It seems to address the feeling of being trapped in a failed relationship and trying to break free. She knows the love has already gone ("time is up" "already dead").  Things have changed from the initial  joy of infatuation (" I rushed in to hold down your page / And now I sleep 'side words you do not read with me"). Her commitment has waned, and she won't be going any further  ("I'm not getting led along" "I'm not getting wet").  There is also the fear of adding a child into the mix ("When you have a child, so begins the braiding"). 

Perhaps the barrel itself signifies a closed space or confinement, but it is possible to escape ("I saw a hand arch out of the barrel") and the "look at the peaches" shows the joy of freedom ?  But I could be completely wrong about everything.  I also have little idea what several lines mean, especially "Show the ferret to the egg".

It winds gracefully through five minute, spinning its charm, but never giving up all its secrets.  I am sure I will enjoy playing it often in 2020, possibly gaining new insights, but more likely to never fully understanding, and that is fine with me.

Hear Now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyZeJr5ppm8   (Warning - the video is a little strange and should not detract from the great song.)

Hear Next -  The Barrel comes from her third album "Designer", and other tracks I have played are similarly tuneful and challenging.